We are a grass-roots organisation dedicated to supporting the Melbourne conservation community. We do this by strengthening networks, sharing knowledge and drawing attention to local conservation action.
We need a new committee
The SCB Greater Melbourne Chapter are looking for fresh faces to lead the committee for 2021. Vacant positions include:
- Vice President
There are also opportunities to join as general committee members, or offer special skills such as curating social media or maintaining the website.
Nominate yourself by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All are welcome! Our committee works best when it includes people from a range of fields and backgrounds across academia, practitioners, community groups and land mangers. It’s a great opportunity to have your sector represented AND an excellent chance for ECRs and students to develop the leadership and engagement skills that come with being part of a committee (in a friendly environment!). Check out our existing board for details
There are no hard and fast rules, but past committees have usually aimed to meet ~ 6 times a year (every two months), host events or activities 4 times a year (about quarterly). Sometimes there’s a flurry of activity surrounding and upcoming event, but generally it’s not a huge time commitment.
This is a great opportunity to get involved in the local conservation community and set the tone for what this chapter delivers over the next few years.
Past events include
- Casual pub dinners or picnics to meet other members
- Hosting special seminars with guest speakers, e.g. “Nature in the City” and “Threatened Species Day Eve – Stories of Hope”
- Partnering with land managers to do on ground works, like ‘Weeding for White’s Skink’ in Royal Park.
- Curating online resources including the Map of Conservation in Victoria, Threatened Species of Greater Melbourne lists, and Cultural Awareness in Conservation.
- The hugely successful Twitter conference, #SCBMelb20, which featured four plenaries and 24 presentations across two days.
There are tonnes of other things you could bring to the table!
Get your nominations in by Monday, April 26th by sending an email to email@example.com.
The elections will be held online on Tuesday, April 27th via Ballot Bin.
If you have any questions about the process or what’s involved, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, or with one of our outgoing committee members who can share their insights. You can also browse or website or take a look at our working ‘strategic plan’.